Tag Archives: blouse

School Projects: The Button-up Shirt

IMG_9140

We had a project at school where we had to design and make a shirt/blouse based on sketches by an entrepreneur who’s collaborating with our school. The sketches contained the basic idea for the shirt (some of them were very vague), but there was still room for creativity.

IMG_9135

The sketch I got was pretty similar to the finished product, but I did come up with some things myself, like the bias tape between the curvy seams — and I altered the sleeves by making them long (in the sketch they were t-shirt sleeves) and adding the curved seam. Truthfully the sketch I got to work with was pretty clear, and I liked the design, so there wasn’t really much to change. In a way it was refreshing to work on something designed by someone other than me, since even though I liked the look of the shirt, I probably would have done something very different on my own.

IMG_9139

IMG_9141

IMG_9143

The curved seams decorating the shirt were my favourite part of making this blouse, though at first I was worried that they would be too difficult, and would ultimately lead to swearing and disappointment. They really were pretty tough to pull off neatly, but in the end I felt like I learned a lot from making them (I would even want to make something with similar seams again). Bias tape never fails to amaze me, as silly as it may sound, and I love steaming it into curves and seeing how effortlessly it can be molded into almost any shape.

IMG_9138

– Sadie

Tagged , , , ,

Finally, A Finished Crochet Project!

I crocheted a shirt/blouse! It took me about half a freakin’ year or so, but now it’s finished.

SONY DSC

This has been a ridiculously long project, mostly due to the thin cotton yarn (I used a 2mm hook), but also because I’m not the most industrious crochet-person, and because I was silly enough to make this without a proper pattern/instructions. But in the end it turned out really nice, so I guess it was all worth it. The shoulders are a little weirdly shaped though.

For the most part I used this stitch, along with a basic double crochet. For the hems I used this really cute stitch. I used some basic sewing patterns and my body measurements to make the pieces, which I then sewed together.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

 

The neckline I finished using single-fold binding made from a strip of basic black knit fabric.

Before binding:

SONY DSC

After binding:

SONY DSC

I even crocheted a little test strip, just so I could see how the binding would work:

SONY DSC

 

All in all, I’m glad this project is done, but next time I’ll be sure to either a) make something small, b) make something really lacy, c) use thicker yarn.

– Sadie

PS. As you can see, I’ve cut my hair! Actually I did it quite a long time ago, but since there have been no pics of me for a while over here, I haven’t had the chance to show it to you. Yay :)

Tagged , , , ,

The V Blouse

Hey!

Here’s what I made on Sunday:

SONY DSC

I used up the leftovers from Tiia’s green dress on this, so it was a pretty handy project. Really comfy too! It just makes me think of summer a bit too much which in turn makes me feel bitter about the fact that it’s still snowy and freezing over here…

The patterns I made were very much inspired by a bodice design from one of the 30’s mags I bought a while back, the one on the right in this pic:

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I really like this design — It’s so simple but still inventive, just the way I like it. Might use it again some time for a dress or something, maybe with two colours.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Sometimes quick projects like this are the best, the craftsy-person’s equivalent of a few hours at the shops – only without the possible remorse and emptied wallet.

– Sadie

Tagged , , , , ,

Something For Mum

This is a blouse I made for my mum. It was already seen in my previous post, but was still unfinished at that point.

The pattern is from Burda 11/2008, style 122. The only alteration I made was the closure in the front — in the original it was a row of buttons, here just a simple sort of cloak clasp thing. The fabric is a leftover from my grandma, probably cotton.

This is also the first time I’ve made proper shirt sleeves, which I think turned out pretty well:

I’m glad the magazine had proper illustrated instructions for these sleeves though, as the language was once again Swedish :D

 

 

Tagged , , , ,
%d bloggers like this: