I bought these huge denim overalls for a nineties themed party a while back, mostly because I wanted to capture the look of Buffy in her overalls of angst:
After the bash was over the overalls stayed in my cupboard for a long time, until I decided to turn them into something I could actually wear.
Here are the overalls for a start:
And here’s what I came up with:
1. The Bolero Jacket
I used the trouser part of the overalls for this, as well as the original back, which I wanted to keep. I had to cheat a bit and use some non-denim-overall-fabric, but that was only for the back panels and the lining, so I think I’ll be pardoned.
2. The Skirt
The skirt is a more traditional upcycling project, since I didn’t use a pattern and kept most of the original features. The back looks a bit funny though — I had to take in so much fabric but didn’t want to move the pockets… oh well.
But overall (pun alert!) I’m pretty proud of getting two garments out of one. And the challenge of working with so little material is always inspiring.