Apologies

Wow, have I been a lazy blogger lately! But to be fair on myself, I haven’t been lazy at all. Who knew making a wedding dress would take so much time and effort, right? :D

But I promise there will be updates on that, as well as other things, in the very near future. There might even be a tutorial or two :)

 

- Sadie

 

 

 

 

Tagged , ,

A Parisian Borderprint Skirt

I made a quick skirt a while back from the leftovers of a wonderful borderprint fabric I bought from Paris in the summer. Simple, but very handy and wearable and overall great. Basically a circle skirt with a separate rectangular portion of the scalloped border.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I put an inseam pocket and a zipper in the same seam, which was fairly interesting.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

Always remembering some fusible interfacing on the pocket edges so they don’t stretch.

SONY DSC

 

Yay!

 

- Sadie

Tagged , , ,

Wedding Dress in Progress vol.1

Hi!

As I announced a while ago, I’m making the wedding dress of a good friend of mine, who is getting married in July. So far I’ve been very busy with making the patterns and the prototype of the dress, which is part of the reason why I’ve been such a bad blogger lately and have posted so little.

But anyway, here’s a little of what I’ve been doing so far:

SONY DSC

Making the patterns was fairly straightforward, and I didn’t really run into any problems there. I started with a basic dress block drawn with the measurements of my friend, and drafted the patterns for all of the parts of the dress from there. I will do a more detailed post on the inner workings and construction of the dress later.

SONY DSC SONY DSC

The prototype or toile I made was very detailed, since I wanted to test some of the features, like the curved french seams on the overlay part of the dress, and the undercorset that will keep the whole thing from falling off once it’s on.

SONY DSC SONY DSC

Here’s what the prototype looked like before the first fitting. I made it from some bedclothes and a see-through curtain I had, which had been left over from some halloween costume. In the first picture there’s even a petticoat I’m making for myself (there will be a post, in case anyone’s interested) under the dress, so that the silhouette would be the same as in the finished dress, which will definitely have a petticoat.

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

The changes I made after the fitting were as follows: taking in the dress a few centimeters at most seams, so that it would be sufficiently tight and not fall off or feel uncomfortably loose; I also curved in the front seams above the bust a bit, so that there would be as little a chance of a wardrobe malfunction as possible; I shortened the back a bit, as seen in the last picture; and finally, trimmed the neckline and armholes rather liberally.

Now the next step will be transferring these changes to the patterns, and then starting the actual dress. So exciting!

The dress for the party in Finland I’ve already finished, since I made it at school as part of my studies (I’ll do a post of that dress as soon as I get some decent photos).

 

In other news, I bought a sewing machine from the 1960s, and I’m in love! It is in near perfect condition, weighs about a ton, and is just about the prettiest machine I’ve ever encountered. It even has a handy compartment for bobbins and presser feet and such.

SONY DSC SONY DSC

PS. Spring has finally arrived in Helsinki, and all this sunlight and birdsong is almost overwhelming!

- Sadie

Tagged , , , , ,

School Projects: The Button-up Shirt

IMG_9140

We had a project at school where we had to design and make a shirt/blouse based on sketches by an entrepreneur who’s collaborating with our school. The sketches contained the basic idea for the shirt (some of them were very vague), but there was still room for creativity.

IMG_9135

The sketch I got was pretty similar to the finished product, but I did come up with some things myself, like the bias tape between the curvy seams — and I altered the sleeves by making them long (in the sketch they were t-shirt sleeves) and adding the curved seam. Truthfully the sketch I got to work with was pretty clear, and I liked the design, so there wasn’t really much to change. In a way it was refreshing to work on something designed by someone other than me, since even though I liked the look of the shirt, I probably would have done something very different on my own.

IMG_9139

IMG_9141

IMG_9143

The curved seams decorating the shirt were my favourite part of making this blouse, though at first I was worried that they would be too difficult, and would ultimately lead to swearing and disappointment. They really were pretty tough to pull off neatly, but in the end I felt like I learned a lot from making them (I would even want to make something with similar seams again). Bias tape never fails to amaze me, as silly as it may sound, and I love steaming it into curves and seeing how effortlessly it can be molded into almost any shape.

IMG_9138

- Sadie

Tagged , , , ,

Twirly Sheath Dress

Hi!

I made my mum a sheath dress from an old fabric of hers, a cotton sateen with a fairly wild pattern.
I really like how the dress turned out, and am especially pleased with the lining. The simple design of the dress really shows off the pattern I think, and in a flattering way.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The lining was a light triacetate, which felt good on the skin and was pretty easy to work with.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I’m especially proud of the lining of the back slit, which is actually really easy to do, but looks quite professional (except for a bit of crinkliness in this case).

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Anyway, mum was pleased, which is always the most important thing.

- Sadie

Tagged , , ,
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 54 other followers

%d bloggers like this: